Next Attorney General
After graduating from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the University of Wisconsin Law School, and practicing telecommunications litigation, Ryan completed his Doctorate at Washington University at St. Louis. He served as a faculty member at Harvard University before moving back home to Wisconsin.
Under Governor Tommy Thompson, Ryan worked in the Governor’s legal office to bring fugitives back to Wisconsin to face justice for their crimes. Ryan believes that defending the innocent from those who would exploit them should be among the Attorney General’s top priorities. Ryan will make sure that criminals are held fully responsible for their crimes.
Ryan’s commitment to constitutional integrity has earned him statewide and national recognition. Ryan has filed briefs with the Wisconsin Supreme Court that helped ensure schools could remain open during the pandemic.
Ryan is a proud NRA member and stands 100 percent for freedom of speech, freedom of expression, and religious freedoms. He stands unapologetically against any and all attempts, foreign and domestic, to sabotage our elections.
Ryan met his wife Karen at a baseball game in 2004. They make their home in Middleton with their two sons, Wyatt and Henry, and three golden retrievers. Ryan and Karen are volunteers for Wisconsin Special Olympics.
- Constitutional Conservative & Legal Scholar
- Professor at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Present)
- Affiliate faculty of UW-Madison’s Law School and the La Follette School of Public Affairs (Present)
- Harvard University Faculty Member (2008-2011)
- Served on Governor Tommy Thompson’s Legal Team (1998)
- Inaugural Director and Creator of the Tommy G. Thompson Center on Public Leadership
- Represented U.S. Senators before the United States Supreme Court
- Filed Briefs before the Wisconsin Supreme Court
- Worked to maintain competition in public utilities at Public Service Commission of WI
- Attorney at Reinhart, Boerner, Van Deuren